Sunday, December 27, 2009

Cool With A "K" PART 8 - CHAPTER 6

We were thrown back into the dark, musty room from before. It was cold and dark and we were miserable. We were sitting on the floor, huddled close together. I looked Leo's way, though I couldn't really see him, "What are we going to do?"
Leo sighed, "Angie, I really don't know. I don't know how we'll get out of here, I don't know how we'll stop stop Mouse and Chris from falling right into the trap...."
"Assuming they're still alive." I could feel my eyes start to moisten. Leo looked my way, not saying anything. I felt him put his arm around me and I bit my lip. What was going to happen to us? Were Chris and Mouse still alive? Were the people here going to kill us? Was Mouse going to come try to rescue us, only to fall into the trap?..... Would she come and rescue us successfully? A little shimmer of hope crept into my heart. "There's still a possibility that they'll come for us.... and not get killed, a-and then we can all go back home, right?" I said, trying to smile at Leo.
Leo shook his head, "I don't think so, Angie, not this time. This is it, we're finished."
My smile faded and I nodded. Realizing he couldn't see me, I said, "Yeah, i-it was just an idea."
Leo turned my way, "A-Angie?" I looked at him.
"Um, there's something I should probably tell you," But he never got to finish, for just then one of the big muscular workers came in. He grabbed our collars, holding us just barely off the ground, and dragged us out of the room.
He turned out to be taking us to a more suitable jail cell, where we couldn't escape. It also turned out that his name was Jymm. Jymm unlocked two cells with big wide barred doorways and tossed us each into one. The cells were side by side. As gross and perverted as I sometimes thought Leo was, I almost missed the comfort of his arm around my shoulder, telling me that we could get through this and figure out a way to help Mouse. Jymm slammed and locked our cell doors and left. I slid down to a sitting position, my back against the wall. I curled up into a ball and, feeling stupid ever though no one could see me, started crying. I had been crying so much lately, my tear glands would soon enough dry up. "Angela?" I heard Leo's muffled voice. "Angie, can you hear me?" Surprised and relived that I had someone to talk to, I put my ear against the cold stone wall. "Leo?" I said, "Um- yes! Yes, I can hear you!"
"Oh, okay. Good!" Leo said from the other side of the wall. I couldn't help but smile, then I remembered Mouse and Chris. "So...." I started to say, but I got all choked up and stopped myself. 
"Um, what I was going to say before, um, I have a confession...." Leo said slowly.
"Yeah?"
"Well, um............"
Why was he doing that? Was it something really bad?
"Uh..." he started again, "I......I looked up your skirt while we were watching Uptown Girls at your house!"
I had the feeling that wasn't what he was going to say, but I had no idea what else he could've said, so I didn't say anything. Silence. "Uh....." I said eventually.
"Uh-huh. I know, I'm so bad." Leo said, but he didn't sound like he was bragging, he sounded nervous. I raised my eyebrow in confusion, this having no effect, Leo being on the other side of the wall. "Was that really what you were going to say Leo?" I sure was prying a lot for someone who had no idea what he would've said if that wasn't it.
"Um.... no." Leo sighed. Well, didn't expect that. I could hear Leo breathing kind of deeply.
"Leo?" I said. He gasped as if I had startled him. "Uh- okay! Um, it was.... it was....."
"Geez, Leo! Just spit it out!" 
"I love you, Angela Harper!" Leo shouted, sounding frustrated. Okay, didn't see that coming either. More silence. I sighed and leaned my head against the wall. This was all so much, I mean, we were trapped in a huge prison, my brother and Leo's step sister were in danger and probably headed right into a trap, Leo comes out with this not-related-to-anything statement that would usually just make me squirm, but now I just don't know what to say. My brain was in total overdrive, millions of thoughts going through my head, I couldn't think about any one thing. Chris, Mouse! Don't come! You'll get killed! Are we going to live? Are they going to live? What did you just say Leo? No! Don't try to save us, Mouse! How will we get out of here? I felt like screaming. We both remained silent. Leo broke the silence, "Uh, Angela?"
I let out a long, slow, stressed breath, realizing that I had been holding my breath. I closed my eyes. "Yeah, Leo?"
"I-I was just gonna ask if you were okay...." he tried to change the subject, "So, h-how are we going to get out of here?" 
I groaned, "I don't know, but we have to, don't we?"
"Yeah." Leo said sadly. 


We were both lost. This sucked.

2 comments: