Monday, November 8, 2010

Cool With A "K" PART 26 - CHAPTER 7

Leo was furious, but he was careful to close the door quietly, so his mom wouldn't ask any questions.
He silently krept through the house, listening for a sound. Anything.
The previous argument had happened like a firework. Leo and Kathy were screaming at each other, full volume, one minute, but afterwards, there was dead silence.
Leo heard a soft sound. A quiet sniffling. He tip-toed to the upstairs bathroom door and knocked on it gently.
"Tae-Hyun?" He said softly.
The sniffling stopped for a second, then turned into soft crying.
Leo knocked on the door again, "Tae-Hyun? Can I come in?"
"Go away." Tae-Hyun's small voice came from the other side of the door, "I don't want to talk to you anymore."
"Tae-Hyun, please, let me come in. I need to talk to you." Leo said, "Please."
There was silence, then Tae-Hyun's cracking voice said, "Please, just go away."
More crying.
Leo set his hand on the door and said, "Come on, Tae-Hyun. Why would I lie to you? You know that I like you."
"I'm not so sure anymore." Tae-Hyun sniffled, "Like Kathy said, boys are pigs. Now go away!"
"Tae-Hyun, please. You and I have had so many good times together and then Kathy comes and tells you that I don't like you..." Leo said, starting to panic, "That's not realistic! I saved your life for Christ's sake!"
Tae-Hyun cried more and said, "Please, Leo, I don't want to talk to you-"
"Leo, what did you do?" Jessica came up behind Leo, her hands on her hips.
"What?" Leo said, turning around, "Oh, n-nothing, Mom."
"Did you upset somebody already?" Jessica snapped. She hit him on the head with the ladle she was holding and yelled at him in Italian.
Leo grabbed the ladle and said, "Mom, please!"
Jessica hit him upside the head and called him a 'hardhead' and went back into the kitchen, mumbling to herself.
Leo rubbed his head and leaned back on the bathroom door.
"Tae-Hyun, please let me in." He said quietly.
"No..." Tae-Hyun sobbed, "I can't..."
"Come on, Tae-Hyun. Why would you believe one thing Kathy said instead of all the things I've said?" Leo said.
Tae-Hyun sobbed, "B-Because, it m-m-makes s-sense..."
"No, Tae-Hyun, it doesn't." Leo said, "It does not make sense. Kathy just wanted you to think that because she was jealous. Now, please... Please, please, come out."
Silence.
Leo laughed nervously and said, "Please, Tae-Hyun. I don't know what I would do if you stayed mad at me... Now, come on. Let me see your face. Please."
Tae-Hyun sniffled and Leo heard her get up.
Tae-Hyun opened the bathroom door and looked up at Leo.
Leo smiled and said softly, "There you are. Thank you for letting me see you."
Tae-Hyun sniffled again and a slow smile spread across her face. She hugged Leo tight and he hugged her back.
Leo put his cheek against the top of her head and said, "There. I told you I didn't lie."
"I'm sorry I didn't believe you, Leo." Tae-Hyun said, comforted by Leo's warm hug.
"It's alright." Leo said, then teasing her, "But that was pretty gullible."
Tae-Hyun laughed and playfully hit Leo's shoulder.
Leo put his arm around her and whispered in her ear, "Hey, Tae-Hyun."
"What?" She whispered back.
Leo smiled and whispered, "I love you."
Tae-Hyun smiled and put her head against his shoulder, "I love you."
Leo glanced toward the kitchen and said, "Geez, I hope Mom didn't hear that."
"Why?" Tae-Hyun asked.
"Because if she did, she'd probably lecture me about feminist stuff and hit me on the head." Leo said.
Tae-Hyun laughed.
Leo tightened his arm around her shoulder and said, "Should we go back downstairs?"
Tae-Hyun's smile faded and she said, "Um, okay... But... Kathy..."
Leo smiled reassuringly.




"She'll be fine."

No comments:

Post a Comment