Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cool With A "K" PART 27 - CHAPTER 3

Leo looked around the playground for Kathy. When he found her, she was sitting on a swing, barely pushing herself by digging her heels into the sand.
Leo stopped by Kathy's swing and said, "Why aren't you with the other cheerleaders?"
Kathy looked up at him and her face fell. Neither of them said anything for a moment.
Kathy looked back down at her feet and said, "Just because I'm a cheerleader doesn't mean I have to hang around them all the time. They can get really annoying."
Leo nodded, "Yeah, I used to date one.... Hey, Kathy?"
She looked up at him again and said sharply, "What?"
"I'm... Really sorry." Leo said, "About what I said earlier, it was really harsh and I shouldn't have said it."
Kathy stared at Leo and he thought she might hit him. She stood up and said, "It's okay."
After her reply sunk in, Leo knit his eyebrows and said, "What? J-just like that?"
Kathy nodded and said, "Yeah. It's no use staying mad at people."
"But... Are you sure?" Leo said.
"Do you want me to be mad at you?" Kathy said, shifting her eyes to him. They were cold and blue.
Leo shook his head, "N-no... Thank you for forgiving me, and again, I'm sorry I was such a jerk."
"It's fine." Kathy said, sighing softly, "I shouldn't have flipped out on Tae-Hyun and you like that."
Leo nodded and said, "Alright... So..."
Kathy tilted her head just a tiny bit and said quietly, "What?"
"Did... Jenny really kiss you?" Leo asked.
Kathy stared at Leo for a minute and said in a monotone, "Yes."
"Are... You okay with that?" Leo said, "I just want to make sure you guys are okay."
Kathy stared at Leo more.
"I don't know." She said, "I'm not mad at her, if that's what you're asking."
"Yeah, it is." Leo said, "I'm not trying to be nosy, I just want to help."
A small, almost mocking smile crossed Kathy's face and she said, "Oh, how sweet. Well, you're the first one, so congrats."
"Who... What?" Leo said.


Chris and I were arguing about the T.V. show Glee. Last week, they sang one of my favorite songs and I was explaining to Chris that the cover sucked, but he was trying to tell me that it was awesome.
Just then, Alice came running over to us; She was crying hard.
"Alice!" Chris said, jogging over to her. He put his hands on her arms and said, "What happened?"
Alice cried more and put her head on Chris' shoulder.
Chris put one arm around her and his hand on her head, "Shh, it's okay..."
I caught Chris' eye; He looked terrified. I mean, I probably did too. What was wrong?
Chris said softly, "Alice, can you tell me what's wrong?"
Alice sniffled and stood up straighter.
"Um..." She said, brushing her hair out of her face, "It was... Geoffry."
Chris' eyes widened and he glanced at me, then back at Alice.
Chris swallowed and pulled at his collar, "Um... Geoffry?"
Alice nodded and blinked back tears, "Yes, Geoffry."
Chris looked like he was preparing himself. He asked, "What... Did Geoffry do?"
"Well..." Alice said softly, "He said... He missed me at the party... So, I told him I saw him there. Then, he said he didn't really get to see me. I said I didn't know what he meant and he said he thought I did. Then, he..."
Chris and I stared at Alice anxiously.
She said slowly, "He... Put his hands on me. All over me."
Chris bit his lip and gave her a sad look.
"Where?" Chris asked gently, "Where did he touch you?"
"He... Touched my arms, then my waist, then my back and my upper thighs and..." Alice's voice cracked and she squeezed her eyes as more tears poured down her face, "He told me to trust him and I said I didn't like being touched."
"Oh, Alice..." Chris said, hugging her tight.
Alice threw her arms around him and sobbed, "I was so scared, Chris."
I watched Alice cry and cry and cry.
Chris hugged her tight and whispered things like, "Don't worry, it'll be okay."
He looked up and saw Geoffry standing a few yards away, watching us with a stupid, dumbstruck look on his face.
Chris scowled at him and let go of Alice.
Geoffry held up his hands defensively and said, "Hey, Chris..."
Chris stomped over to him and Geoffry said, "Uh, look, I can-"
As soon as he was close enough, Chris slapped Geoffry as hard as he could.
Geoffry's head snapped to the side. He held his hand up to his face and said, "Uh, Chris, I know you're mad, but I can-"
"Mad? You think I'm mad?" Chris screamed, slapping him again, "I am furious!"
"Okay, Chris, listen," Geoffry said, holding up his hands again, "I know... You believe in the whole monogamy thing, but-"
"Monogamy?" Chris shouted, laughing hollowly, "You think this is about you cheating on me?"
"Well, that's usually why you get mad at me..." Geoffry said quietly.
Chris clenched his teeth and said, "That is not the reason why I'm mad-"
"So, it's cool when I do stuff with other people?" Geoffry said, "That doesn't piss you off anymore?"
Chris slapped Geoffry in the face a third time.
Geoffry's head snapped to the side again and he said, "Will you stop hitting me??"
"NO!" Chris screamed on the top of his lungs, slapping him again, "You not only disrespected our relationship, but you disrespected a young lady! You touched Alice without her permission and you upset her! That is probably the most rude, disrespectful, inconsiderate, selfish thing you could possibly do!!!"
Geoffry didn't say anything for a moment, he just stared at red-faced Chris.
"So..." Geoffry said, "How is this time any different from what I did to you?"
Chris stared at him in shock and rage for a while.
"You wanna know the difference, Geoffry?" Chris said through clenched teeth, blinking back tears.
"Uh, yeah, I'm kind of confused." Geoffry said.
"The difference is this time, you went to far." Chris said, "You've pushed me on so many things and this time, you not only cheated on me, but you hurt Alice."
Geoffry didn't say anything. Good boy.
"Alice is my best friend." Chris said angrily, his face red and his jaw tight, "I care about her more than almost anything in the world, even you, Geoffry! And for you to hurt her like that..."
Geoffry bit his lip silently.
A tear ran down Chris' cheek and he said, "We're through. I'm done trying to deal with you."
He turned around and walked back toward Alice and Geoffry held his hands up in the air.
"Come on, Chris, don't be that way..." Geoffry said.
Chris took Alice's hand and said, "Come on, Alice. Let's get out of here..."
Chris, Alice, and I left Geoffry standing alone, thinking about what had just happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment