Saturday, November 6, 2010

Cool With A "K" PART 26 - CHAPTER 3

"That was a pretty hilarious story." I said, giggling.
Leo gave me a helpless look, "Angela!"
Kathy slowed her laughing and said, "So, Mouse, are you gonna play, or what?"
Mouse shook her head, "Nope."
"What?" Kathy said, her eyes widening, "Why not?"
"Because, it's a stupid game." Mouse said.
"So is life, now sit down." Kathy said, tugging on the cuff of Mouse's pants.
Mouse gritted her teeth and said, "Fine, whatever. But if any of you freaks touch me, I'm going to kill you."
"We love you too, Mousey." I said.
Leo went and got a glass bottle from the recycling in the kitchen and brought it downstairs.
Jenny set it in the middle of our circle and sat back down.
Kathy smiled and said, "I'll go first."
As she spun the bottle, Tae-Hyun whispered to Leo, "So, how do you play this game?"
Leo looked at her and said, "You don't know how to play?"
Tae-Hyun shook her head, "Nope. Never."
Leo's face turned red.
The bottle Kathy had spun slowed until it was pointing to Chris.
We all 'oohed' and Chris and Kathy stood up.
Leo set the seven minute timer on his watch and we watched Chris and Kathy go into the closet. Kathy closed the wooden accordion doors and all we could see was the light streaming out of the cracks in the door and the sick images floating through our teenage brains.


Kathy closed the door and faced Chris. He was leaned against the wall casually. A few months ago, Chris would've been terrified to be stuck in a closet with Kathy for seven minutes, but now she liked Leo, right?
Kathy walked over to Chris and grasped his shirt collar in her hands.
"So," She said, smiling, "What do you want to do?"
Chris' face fell and his eyes got wide, "Huh?"
"What do you want to do?" Kathy said, putting her palms on Chris' chest, "It's just you, and me, and this room for seven minutes."
Chris' face flushed and he said, "Uh, I... I thought you liked Leo."
Kathy gave Chris big puppy dog eyes and said innocently, "What, I can't like two guys at the same time?"
She leaned forward, putting her face closer to his.
Chris backed away and said, "Hey!"
"What?" Kathy said.
"What are you doing?" Chris asked.
Kathy grinned and said, "Just trying to show you how I feel about you."
"Um, sorry, Kathy, but isn't this a little bit so last year?" Chris said, "I mean, I thought you were done with me. I-I thought we were friends."
"We are friends." Kathy said, "I can't have a crush on my friend? Look at Leo and Tae-Hyun, Geoffry and you..."
Her electric blue eyes shifted to Chris' and she said, "You and Alice?"
"I don't have a crush on Alice."
"She has a crush on you." Kathy said, "And really, who can blame her?"
Kathy leaned forward and whispered into Chris' ear, "You're hot."
Chris backed away again and said, "Kathy, stop."
"Stop what?" Kathy asked innocently.
"What do you mean 'stop what?'" Chris squeaked, "Stop trying to kiss me!"


"Here she goes again." Leo said casually from outside the closet.
Alice, Mouse, and I nodded.


"Why don't you like me, Chris?" Kathy said, sounding bratty and winey.
"I do like you, I just don't love you." Chris said.
Kathy glared at him for a long time and smacked him in the face.
"What the hell, Kathy?" Chris cried, "Why did you hit me?"
"Because you're a jerk." Kathy said, "You said you don't love me."
"I'm gay!" Chris said.
Kathy pursed her lips and said "Well. That's a pretty big decision for a fifteen-year-old boy."
Chris laughed hollowly and said, "Oh, you think being gay is a choice? You think I chose to be tormented every day of my life and laughed at and slapped by girls? Do you think I chose that, Kathy? Huh?"
Kathy scowled at him and, sounding upset and angry, said, "Whatever... I shouldn't have tried to kiss you and I'm sorry, Chris. I'm sorry."
She shoved open the closet doors and sat back down in the circle.
Everyone stared at Kathy, who was crossing her arms and staring at the floor. Then, we all shifted our gaze to Chris, who was standing awkwardly in the doorway of the closet.
Kathy looked at Leo and said, "Your turn, Leo."
Leo reached for bottle in the middle of the circle and spun it.
Chris came and sat down next to me.
"What happened?" I asked.
"Nothing..." Chris said.
The spinning bottle slowed and stopped at Chris.
Everyone except for Leo and Chris laughed.
Leo and Chris looked at each other distastefully and I said, "Into the closet, boys."
Chris and Leo both sighed, got up, and went into the closet.


The boys leaned against the opposite sides of the closet in silence.
"Should we just stay like this for the whole time?" Chris asked.
Leo nodded without looking at him, "Yeah, sure.... So, how's the weather lately?"


Chris and Leo came out of the closet seven minutes later.
"Soo, what happened?" Jenny teased them.
"Nothing." Chris said.
"Sorry to disappoint you." Leo said, "We're quite boring."
Jenny sighed and said, "Who's next?"
"You." Alice said.
"Oh, okay." Jenny spun the bottle. We all watched as it stopped at Kathy.
The girls looked at each other and Jenny's eyes got big.
"Off you go." Leo said, making a shooing motion with his hand.
Kathy and Jenny went into the closet and we all listened nosily.


Kathy closed the door and turned to Jenny.
"So..." Kathy said awkwardly.
Jenny bit her lip and said, "Kathy,"
"Hm?"
Jenny stared at Kathy with the slightest bit of sadness in her beautiful brown eyes. She looked nervous.
Kathy gave her a look and said, "Are... You okay?"
"No," Jenny chuckled and shook her head, "I'm not."
Kathy eyed her and said slowly, "Why... Not?"
"Because," Jenny said softly, "I can't read minds."
Kathy looked really confused, "What do you mean?"
"I mean..." Jenny said, taking a step toward Kathy, "I don't know how you'll react..."
Jenny slid her hand behind Kathy's head and whispered, "If I do this..."
Jenny tilted her head to the side and her lips touched Kathy's.
Jenny slowly closed her eyes and put her other hand behind Kathy's head too.
Kathy's eyes widened in surprise.
Jenny bowed her head and opened her eyes to look at Kathy.
Kathy stared at her and Jenny let her hands slip to Kathy's shoulders.
The girls stared at each other in silence for a long time.
Kathy was speechless.
Looking down, Jenny giggled softly and her cheeks turned pink.
"I'm sorry, I guess that was a little straightforward." She said quietly, looking back at Kathy.
Kathy stared at her, still at loss for words.
Jenny looked concerned and said, "Are you mad?"
"I..." Kathy furrowed her eyebrows, "I don't know."
Jenny smiled and said, still blushing, "I guess that's one of the better options... I was really scared to do that."
Kathy didn't say anything.
Jenny hugged her and said softly into her ear, "I hope this didn't damage our friendship Kathy."
Jenny stood back and waited for a reply. Kathy remained silent.
Jenny smiled slightly and opened the closet door.

No comments:

Post a Comment