Sunday, October 10, 2010

Cool With A "K" PART 24 - CHAPTER 3

Thanks to six huge dinner tables, all of the students fit in the Mess Hall for dinner.
I sat by Chris and Alice, across from Mouse.
Lester came over with his dinner tray and said, "Hey, losers. Can I sit with you guys?"
I couldn't tell if he was joking or not when he called us losers.
"Look who's talking." Mouse mumbled.
"Sure, Lester." I said.
Lester grinned and said, "Cool."
He sat down next to Mouse, which surprised me.
"Hey, Angela." Lester said. Oh, that's why. Damn it!
"Hello..." I said slowly.
Then, Leo and Tae-Hyun came and sat on the other side of Mouse.
"Hi, guys." Leo said.
We waved half-heartedly and ate. The food was better than what we got at school, at least.
Leo glanced at Tae-Hyun. She was scooping up her peas and letting them drop back into her plate.
"Hey, you okay?" Leo said, "You look tired."
Tae-Hyun looked up and smiled uneasily, "Oh, yeah, I am totally fine."
Leo studied her face and Tae-Hyun tried to ignore him.
"Are you sure?" Leo said, putting his hand on hers. She was burning up.
"Dude, you're really hot. I mean-" Leo said, his face flushing, "You're really warm! Yeah, warm!"
I stared at him, eyes wide.
"What?" I said.
"Wannabe emo gangster kid say what?" Lester said, raising an eyebrow. He was trying to be cool again.
Leo didn't even notice.
"You know, like... Temperature." Leo said, "Hot? Meaning the opposite of cold?"
We all stared at him and slowly looked back down at our plates.
Tae-Hyun's face was bright red.
Leo looked at her and said quietly, "Are you sure you're okay?"
Tae-hyun nodded and smiled again.
Leo sighed and went back to his food.


We all left the Mess Hall to go to our cabins.
I left with Chris and I said, "Don't worry too much about Buck and Joey, Chris. At least you're not with Daniel and Johnny. Oh, poor Tae-Hyun... And Leo."
Chris nodded and said sulkily, "Yeah, I guess. But still, I have to sleep in the same room as them."
"Well, I guess that could be kind of weird." I said.
Chris gave me a look, "And, they could hurt me and do things to me while I sleep!"
I shrugged, "Well, at least you're not with Geoffry."
Chris stopped walking and I could feel his eyes on the back of my head.
"You!" He said, walking to catch up with me, "That was what you said to Mary! You kept her form putting me with Geoffry!"
"Yep."
Chris looked pissed, "Angie!"
"What?" I said.
"Why would you do that? If he was with me instead of Lester than he could actually protect me!" Chris cried.
I pouted, "What's wrong with Lester? He's a little stupid sometimes, but he's not that bad."
"He can't protect me!" Chris said, "Geoffry can! I can't stand up for myself, Angie. I need a hero!"
"Dude," I said, "You're my brother. I'm trying to protect you. Geoffry still bugs me!"
Chris chewed his bottom lip and eyed me. Well, that was better than an argument.
"I... Can see why you would be concerned." Chris said, looking at the ground, then back at me, "I've noticed it too."
I crossed my arms, listening.
"He has done things... That I wouldn't let anyone else do and... I love him so much..." Chris' voice cracked and he blinked quickly, trying not to cry, "I just... I don't know what I should do because I want to be with him and it's been working that way, but..."
I smiled gently and said, "Hey, Chris."
Chris nodded and I said, "You should have told me about that."
Chris nodded again.
I hugged him and said, "I can help you. Really, I can."
"Okay," Chris said, hugging me back.
We backed off and I said, "Well, I think we need to go to our cabins now."
"Where's yours?" Chris said anxiously. Ah, just like the good old days.
I pointed across the camp, "Girls' Cabin Two. The second one to the left."
Chris nodded and said, "Okay. Bye, Angie."




"See you, Chris." I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment