Saturday, October 2, 2010

Cool With A "K" PART 23 - CHAPTER 22

On Sunday, Tae-Hyun stood in front of her mirror, holding up two different hooded jackets.
Kyung-Sam came into her room and leaned against the doorway, his arms crossed.
"Still can't decide what to wear?" He said.
"Yeah, it's hard." Tae-Hyun said, "Any ideas?"
Kyung-Sam smiled and said, "Wow, didn't think I'd have this guy talk with my little sister."
Tae-Hyun shot him a look and Kyung-Sam looked through the closet.
"Okay, first of all, don't wear a hoodie." He said, "You'll look like a loser."
Then he turned to look at Tae-Hyun and said with a shrug, "Well, maybe that's what you want."
Tae-Hyun cocked her head and said, "What do you mean?"
"Well, what are you gonna do if she tries to kiss you?" Kyung-Sam said, "Throw a drink on her? Scream? Kiss her back?"
"Oh my goodness, I didn't think about that." Tae-Hyun said, her face paling.
Kyung-Sam smirked and said, "Yeah, you need my help."
He looked through the closet some more and said, "Hmm... How about this?"
Kyung-Sam pulled out a pink prom dress with little roses trimmed around the waist.
Tae-Hyun glared at her brother and said, "No, Oppa."
Kyung shrugged and said, "How about this?"
He took out a maroon sweater.
Tae-Hyun shook her head, "Whatever. That'll have to do. Can you help me with this?"
She gestured to the ace bandage wrapped around her bare chest.
Kyung-Sam groaned, "Come on, are you really asking me that?"
"Please, Kyung." Tae-Hyun said, "The clip is stuck."
Kyung-Sam pouted and walked over to her, "Don't you do this by yourself all the time?"
"Yes, but the clip is stuck in the binder. Now please stop being a baby and help me, Oppa!" Tae-Hyun said.
"Fine, geez..." Kyung-Sam said. He unwrapped the bandage halfway and re-wrapped it, clipping it in place.
"There," Kyung-Sam said, hitting her hard on the back, "Now your date will not notice your boobs... Not that she would've before."
"Hey!" Tae-Hyun laughed, hitting her brother on the shoulder.
Kyung-Sam laughed and started to leave the room.
"Oppa?" Tae-Hyun said.
Kyung-Sam turned back around, "Hm?"
"Thank you," Tae-hyun said, smiling, "I really needed your help."
Kyung-Sam snorted, "Yeah, I know." 
Tae-Hyun smiled and closed the door behind her brother as he left her room.




It seemed like years as I waited for Saturday to come.
I wished I hadn't offered to pick Tae-Hyun up when I remembered Mom would have to drive. She would be all over this.
I've gone on dates before. Come on, I'm sixteen.... It's just been a little while.
Does it piss me off that my brother has had a boyfriend for months now and I still don't have one? No, because I'm getting closer every second I wait for Saturday!
So, now it's Saturday and I'm sitting on the living room couch, staring at the clock on the wall.
4:44. Okay, only sixteen minutes and forty-six seconds left. Forty-five, forty-four...
Chris came in and sat next to me.
"Hey, how are you holding up?" He asked.
"I'm okay, I guess. A little nervous... I guess." I said.
Chris put his hands on mine and said, "I can tell."
I smiled at him and Mom came into the room.
"So, Angie, are you ready to go?" I could tell she was suppressing a squeal.
"Yeah, Mom." I said, getting up and trying to sound bored to keep the quiver out of my voice.
Chris stood up to hug me and said, "Good luck, Angie."
"Thanks." I said.
Mom and I got in the car, leaving Chris with his cat and his Lady Gaga iPod playlist.
We drove to Tae-Hyun's house and I got out of the car.
"Stay. Here." I said to Mom.
I walked up the steps as slowly as I could.
I rang the doorbell and waited.
A little boy opened the door. He was short, fat, shirtless, and the most adorable thing I've ever seen.
I smiled at him and he smiled back, his chubby cheeks getting in the way of his grin.
"Hyung! That girl is here!" The little boy said.
"Coming!" Tae-Hyun called from down the hall.
The boy looked at me and smiled cutely.
"Ahn young!" He said.
"Hi." I said, assuming he said hi to me.
"My name is Hyo." The little boy said.
"I'm Angie." I said.
Hyo smiled that adorable smile.
Tae-Hyun came to the door and said, "Hi, Angela."
I beamed and said, "Hi."
Hyo giggled wildly and ran into the kitchen, saying, "Kyung! Kyung! Kyung! Kyung! Tae-Hyun's leaving!"
A young guy, maybe college-age, came out of the kitchen carrying Hyo and he came to the door.
The guy held out a hand to me and said, "Hey, you must be Angela."
"Yeah," I said politely, shaking his hand.
"I'm Kyung-Sam, I'm Tae-Hyun's brother." The guy said, "Nice to meet you."
"You too." I said, smiling.
Tae-Hyun smiled tightly and said, "Well, Angela and I should be going now."
"Okay, have fun." Kyung-Sam said, smirking at Tae-Hyun and joking, "Make sure not to drink or do drugs or-"
"Bye, Kyung." Tae-Hyun said sharply, giving her older brother a look.
I grinned and we walked to the car.
"Your brothers seem really awesome." I said.
Tae-Hyun chuckled and said, "Yeah? Try living with them."
I laughed and said, "So, where are your parents?"
"Still in Korea." Tae-Hyun explained, "They stayed in Seoul because of work, but they sent my brothers and I to America for school. Kyung is in College and Hyo is in first grade."
I laughed again, "Hyo is adorable."
Tae-Hyun laughed too, "Yes, he is. Every time I come home, he runs toward me saying 'Noo- Hyung! Hyung! Hyung!'"
"What does that mean?" I asked curiously.
"'Hyung' is what a boy calls a boy older than him." Tae-Hyun said, "Like what I would call Leo. He would call you or me 'Dongsaeng' because we're both younger than him, but the rest all have specific genders and ages and such."
"Yeah?" I said, "That's so cool."
Tae-Hyun nodded, "Yes, it is. Here is an example. Who is older, you or Alice?"
"Alice."
"Well, you would call Alice 'Unni', because she is a girl and you are a girl and she is older than you." Tae-Hyun said, "You would call Leo 'Oppa', me or Chris would call him 'Hyung', and Chris or I would call Alice 'Noona'."
I let out a breath and said, "Wow, that's a lot to remember."
Tae-Hyun shrugged, "You get used to it after a while."
We got in the car and before I could open my mouth, Mom turned around in her seat and said, "Oh, hello, Tae-Hyun. I'm Angie and Chris' mom."
Tae-Hyun shook her hand and said, "Nice to meet you."
"You too," Mom said, beaming, "You can call me Mrs. Harper."
"Okay."
"Oh, this is going to be so much fun!" Mom said.
I whispered to Tae-Hyun, "She's not going to the movie with us."
He nodded and Mom said, "You kids, you grow up so fast."
"Mom!" I said.
She giggled, "I'm sorry, Angie. Am I embarrassing you?"
"Yes."
Mom laughed and starting driving. She sighed, "Ah, I remember going out with a boy in high school named John. He was from Spain."
"Oh God..." I said under my breath, "Um, Mom?"
"Yes, Angie?"
"Umm.... So, what has Chris been up to?" I said.
Mom laughed again and said, "Angie, you see your brother all the time. I should be asking you this."
"W-well, um..." I said, looking at Tae-Hyun, "Hey, Tae-Hyun. How have you been lately?"
"Oh, I've been good." Tae-Hyun said, smiling, "What about- Er, how about you?"
I smiled back dreamily, loving his little English mistake, "I've been great."
Tae-Hyun smiled and Mom said from the front seat, "Ohh, you two are adorable together already!"
"Mooooommm!" I groaned.
"Oh, sorry." Mom said, giggling, but I don't think she meant it.
I never thought I would be so happy to see the movie theater.
I got out of the car and said, "Come on, Tae-Hyun. Let's get tickets before they sell out."
"Um, okay." Tae-Hyun said, getting out after me. He turned around and said, bowing quickly, "It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Harper."
Mom smiled and said, "It's nice to meet you too, Tae-Hyun. Oh, wait, let me get a picture of you two together!"
"MOM!" I said, blushing, "This isn't prom!"
Mom pouted and said, "Chris and Geoffry let me take a picture of them in front of the theater."
I gritted my teeth and said, "Please... Don't... Ever compare me... And Tae-Hyun... To them."
Mom looked confused and said, "Why?"
"BECAUSE I HATE GEOFFRY!" I yelled.
Mom and Tae-Hyun stared at me.
"I'm sorry," I said, "I just, uh... Have a little... Issue... With Geoffry."
"Do you not get along?" Mom asked, concerned.
I shrugged, "Well, I hate him. He's a creep and I want him to stay away from my little brother. I don't know what he thinks of me."
I looked around and went closer to the car window to say to Mom, "You know what I think? I think he's really out to get me and he just pretends otherwise because he doesn't want Chris to know."
Mom raised an eyebrow at me and said, "Now, that's just silly, Angela. Geoffry is a very nice boy and I'm sure he wouldn't do that."




"How can you be sure," I said, "If he might be a really good actor?"

No comments:

Post a Comment