Sunday, October 24, 2010

Cool With A "K" PART 24 - CHAPTER 21

I lied sprawled across my bed, bored. I listened to Jenny and Michelle talk.
"Why did those really big cars come here two days ago?" Michelle asked.
"The ambulances?" Jenny said softly, "They came here because Tae-Hyun was sick."
Michelle pouted, "Big cars don't come when I get sick."
"Well, Michelle, Tae-Hyun was really sick." Jenny said, "He was so sick that he needed a doctor to help him get better."
I couldn't help being amused at how much Jenny had to dumb down the way she spoke for Michelle.
Michelle looked really confused and said, "Who's that?"
"Tae-Hyun is Leo's friend." Jenny said, "The Korean boy."
Michelle's mascaraed eyes widened, "Ohhhh, I remember him! He was from the war, right?"
"No, Michelle."
"But, there were bombs..."
"No, there were no bombs in South Korea, Michelle."
Michelle sat on the floor with Jenny, staring into space.
"Jenny," I said, "I think her brain stopped."
Tina fought back a grin and Jenny said, stifling a laugh, "Angela,"
"My brain works pretty good." Michelle said, clasping her hands together, "Ohhh, that reminds me of this time when I was five and my mom was on the phone and she was carrying me and my little brother. Then, when she went to get food for us so we'd stop crying, she dropped me and my brother on our heads and my brother had to get stitches."
Jenny, Tina, and I stared at Michelle for a long, long time.
"Hey, Tina." I said, trying to start a new conversation, "Have you heard back from Leo yet?"
Tina nodded, "Yes, actually. I heard from Mrs. Green that Leo and Ms. Nelson are coming back to camp today."
"Awesome." I said, smiling. I was glad to hear that at least Leo was coming back. For a while, I was scared that he would refuse to leave.
"Why was Leo at the hospital too?" Michelle said.
I sighed, "Oh, Michelle..."
Jenny gave me the kind of look Mom gives me right before I insult Chris.
"Leo was there to visit Tae-Hyun while she was sick." I said, smiling tightly.
Poor Michelle looked so confused, "But... Then, wouldn't Leo get sick?"
"Angela," Jenny said, "Did you just say 'she'?"
My face fell and my eyes widened. Then, I laughed and scoffed, "Pfft! No."
Damn my terrible lying skills and my big mouth.
Jenny studied me and I said, "Verbal typo, okay?"
"Verbal typo..." Tina said, "Interesting."
I gritted my teeth. I can safely say this was the first time I was grateful for one of Michelle's stupid comments.
"Is Leo sick too, now?" Michelle said, looking concerned.
"N-no, Leo's fine." I said, "He's coming back to camp today."
"Angela," Jenny hissed.
"So... Does that mean we're all gonna get sick???" Michelle said, throwing her hands into her mountain of light blonde curls.
I gritted my teeth and looked down at my lap.
"No, Michelle." I said.
"Why do you keep saying that?" Michelle said, standing up, "No, Michelle. No, Michelle. You're confusing me!"
"For God's sake, I feel like I'm talking to a child!" I exclaimed.
Michelle's shoulders slumped and she pouted, her lower lip quivering. Good Lord...
Michelle started crying right there, just like a little kid who couldn't find their mom at the super market, when really she was right behind them.
Jenny put her arm around Michelle's shoulder and said, "There, there."
I gave Tina a 'unbelievable' look and she shrugged.




How were Tina and Jenny always so nonchalant about everything?

No comments:

Post a Comment