Thursday, December 9, 2010

Cool With A "K" PART 28 - CHAPTER 18


Jenny stayed at our house for a little bit longer, but she went home before dinner.
When Mom, Chris, and I sat around the table in the living room with our dinner, Mom said, "Well, kids, it was very nice of you to have that Jenny girl over. She seemed to be having a very hard time."
Chris nodded, "Yeah, she was. I feel so bad for her, she's such a sweetie."
"It's kind of unbelievable that someone would be so mean to her." I said, taking a bite of food.
"What happened?" Mom asked.
Chris picked through his dinner and said, "Her friend called her a stupid lesbian and told her to get out of her life. It was really sad."
Mom drew her hand to her heart and gasped, "Oh, my goodness! How awful!"
"And get this," I said, "It was Kathy."
Mom looked surprised and said, "That nice girl with the pretty red hair? Oh, how sad."
"There's more." Chris said, "Jenny has a crush on her."
Mom shook her head, "That poor girl. Is that why Kathy was so angry?"
"I don't know." I said honestly, "I have no idea what's wrong. She's just seemed kind of... Different... Lately."
Chris nodded in agreement, "Definitely. She's been very angry. At Leo's house, she freaked out on Tae-Hyun, Leo, and Jenny."
"Yes, you told me." Mom said.
"And today at lunch, she got into a fight with the head cheerleader." I said.
Chris wrinkled his nose and said, "Well, that Stephanie girl is kind of skanky."
"Chris!" Mom hissed.
"She is, Mom." I said, "It's true, Stephanie's a total..."
Chris squeezed my leg under the table.
"Don't go that far." Chris whispered out of the side of his mouth. He was right, Mom would freak out if I used 'the B word' in front of her, especially at the dinner table.
I smiled tightly and said, "She's not a very nice girl."
Mom nodded with approval for my not swearing and said, "Well, I can't say I don't feel sorry for Kathy, too."
Chris and I tilted our heads to the side and said together, "What?"
"I doubt she would do something so nasty unless she had something of her own going on." Mom said, "After all, even Kathy's only human. You have to look past her mistakes and make sure not to be too hard on her."
Chris and I looked at each other.
"Hey..." I said, "Didn't someone else say that to us recently?"
"Yeah..." Chris said, scratching his head, "That sounds kind of familiar."
Mom clapped her hands together and said, "Well, then, I would suggest you take that advice."
I nodded and said, "Yeah, okay. I think you're right. We'll start being nicer to Kathy."
"After she comes back to school; she's suspended." Chris pointed out.
"Oh..." I said, "That's right."
Mom got up and began clearing the plates, "Well, maybe one of you kids can give her a call sometime. She'll probably be bored at home for a while."


"Yeah..." Chris said, smiling uncertainly.

No comments:

Post a Comment