Friday, May 21, 2010

Cool With A "K" PART 21 - CHAPTER 4

We were all surprised to see Chris come to lunch with his arm linked through Kathy's.
Leo and I exchanged a look. When I looked at Alice, I saw that she was staring at Kathy, an unfamiliar look on her face.
Chris smiled and said, "I told Kathy she could sit with us today. That is okay, isn't it?"
"No, she's annoying." Mouse said casually.
Kathy looked a little hurt, but Chris smiled at her and her sad expression faded.
The plastic fork in Alice's hand snapped in half loudly. 
We all looked at her and I studied her face. Her hazel eyes were glazed over and glaring. Her lips were pursed slightly and, just as Chris did, she looked kind of silly, being a freckle-faced doe-eyed ginger with such a dim expression.
I was suddenly kind of worried when it occurred to me that I couldn't remember the last time I saw Alice mad.
I glanced at Leo again and he shook his head like he didn't know what to think either.
Kathy noticed Alice's cold glare and quickly, awkwardly looked away. It didn't seem like Kathy meant any harm, I noticed.
Suddenly, Alice laughed loudly and we all turned to her.
"It's kind of cute, actually." She said sharply, "To see you two back in the same picture again. Just like old times...."
"What do you mean, Allie?" Chris asked, confused.
I shot Alice a 'what are you doing' look and she said dryly, "You know, old times. I remember when you two were best friends and you would always fun around in your little *GID world..."
"Alice!" I hissed, "What are you doing?"
Chris and Kathy exchanged a look.
"Don't you remember, Chris?" Kathy said, "Kindergarten...?"
Chris shook his head, "No, I don't. What am I forgetting?"
"Marble," Kathy explained slowly, "Barbies..."
Chris' face flushed and his eyes widened.
Alice chuckled grimly and said, "Yeah, Chris. Don't you remember? You two would be so cute together. Chris Harper and Marble Hopscotch; I can picture it carved into a tree now..."
"Alice, what is your deal?" Mouse said, "Next thing I know, you'll be forgetting to wash your hands and not knowing how many seconds are left in class and other crazy things! Alice, what if you kiss a boy?"
Alice scowled at Mouse and turned away.
Leo and I looked at each other yet again. This was so weird.
"Marble???" Chris cried, "Marble Hopscotch?"
He drew his hands up to his mouth and stood up, "Oh my goodness, oh my goodness..."
He looked like he was about to have a stroke.
Kathy quickly stood up and stuttered, "Uh, I, um... Oh, I'm sorry I didn't say anything, Chris! I really should've!"
Chris peeked at Kathy through his fingers and let his hands slide off his face.
He put his hands on Kathy's head and looked at her. After a while, he started laughing.
Kathy looked confused and Chris said, "I can't believe it! I-it's you! I would never have guessed it was you! You're Marble???"
Kathy laughed and said, letting herself smile, "Yes, it's me!"
Chris hugged her hard and she hugged him back. 
There was a series of 'I can't believe it's and 'it's really you's and 'oh my gosh's. 
Alice glared grudgingly at Kathy. I had never seen her this way and I was really starting to get worried.
"Alice," I put my hand on her shoulder, but she got up and walked off.
Unfortunately, Chris was too distracted to notice. He and Kathy broke apart from their hug and stared at each other.
Soon enough, they were lost in each other's eyes and smiling warmly.
Chris and Kathy looked at Mouse, Leo, and I. Our mouthes were hanging open.
"What?" Chris and Kathy said at the same time. They laughed and said, in unison, "Oh my gosh, we said that at the same time!"
They irrupted with laughter and I gave Mouse and Leo a 'let's go' look. They nodded and Leo said, "Hey, you two have fun. We gotta go."
"Oh," Chris said, "We'll see you outside."


We didn't see Alice at recess. Mouse, Leo, and I trailed behind Kathy and Chris, watching closely.
They talked and talked and talked and talked. It was just like when they had first became friends, but not entirely. It was different because now they were talking about kindergarten and all the fun times they had had and all the years it had been.
Then, to my shock and slight horror, Chris slid his hand into Kathy's.
I stopped walking and Leo and Mouse turned around.
Leo and I exchanged a glance and his face paled.
"H-hey," Leo said, "Y-you okay, Ange?"
I suddenly felt light-headed as paranoid visions of Chris and Kathy getting married and having loud, annoying, creepy little ginger babies raced through my head.
Why couldn't he just marry his d*ckhead boyfriend, Geoffry?
Leo studied my face and I blinked, smiling tightly.
"I'm fine." I said, staggering forward as I tried to walk in a straight line. Sadly, Chris was doing a pretty good job walking in a  straight line. Pun intended.




I felt like someone had just put my brain through a blender.




*GID = Gender Identity Disorder

No comments:

Post a Comment