Friday, May 7, 2010

Cool With A "K" PART 20 - CHAPTER 5

In the morning, Mom, Dad, and I went to Chris’ room and Mom knocked on the door.
“Chris, Sweetie?” She said softly, “Will you please get up, Sweetheart?”
When Chris didn’t answer the door, I pushed it open and walked over to Chris’ bed, where he was lying with headphones on, sleeping in his black clothes.
The emo music was playing loud enough that I could hear it.
I shook Chris and said, “Wake up, Mr. Brightside.”
Chris groaned and pulled his blanket over his head.
Mom and Dad exchanged a look and I turned back to Chris.
Mom gasped as I reached over Chris, grabbed the bed sheets, and flipped the mattress over.
From the floor, Chris sat up and glared at me. He took off his headphones, tossed them onto the floor, and stomped out of the room.
Mom and Dad stared at me and I shrugged, as if to say, ‘I don’t know what’s wrong with him’.
We all went into the kitchen.
Mom made breakfast for Dad while he got ready for work.
For the first time in my life, I felt awkward, sitting across from my little brother at the breakfast table.
Dressed from head to toe in black, his messy brown hair in his eyes, Chris picked up spoonfuls of cereal, only to let it pour back into the bowl.
I got up and said, “Well, time for school. Come on, Chris.”
Mom looked up and said, “Oh, do you two want to take the bus or should I drive you…?”
Chris trudged over to the door, picking up his backpack.
I shrugged helplessly at Mom and she nodded.
“Alright,” She said, “I’ll see you after school.”
“Bye, Mom.” I said, “Chris says goodbye too.”
Chris didn’t say anything and we walked to our bus stop.
I smiled weakly when I saw Alice and her face fell when she saw Chris.
She whispered to me, “Is he still upset about Geoffry?”
I nodded, “Yeah, it’s driving us all nuts at home. He’s been listening to Coldplay and Three Days Grace and The Smiths…”
Alice looked from me to Chris and said, “The Smiths? Really?”
I nodded and the bus arrived. We got on and Chris sat by himself in a seat.
I sat by Alice, but we didn’t say anything for the whole ride.

When we got to school, Mouse and Leo met us outside.
Leo eyed Chris, studying his clothes, which were unusually and startlingly similar to Leo’s.
Mouse had a somewhat satisfied look on her face and she was about to say something, but both Alice and I both glared daggers at her. She kept quiet.
None of us said anything at all.
Chris was one step away from catatonic for the whole day.
At lunch, Geoffry came up to me and said, “Hey, Angela. What’s wrong with Chris? He seems a little, I don’t know… Off.”
I crossed my arms and said, “Gee, I wonder what’s wrong with Chris. Don’t play stupid, Pretty Boy.”
Geoffry stared at me blankly and I rolled my eyes.
“He’s sulking because of what you did to him.” I said flatly, “Your fault.”
Geoffry looked confused and said innocently, “What are you talking about, Angela?”
“Are you serious?” I snarled, “You are such an idiot. I don’t see what about you is worth sulking over.”
Geoffry looked a little offended and said, a bit sarcastically, “I don’t know what you’re talking about. Now, will you please be a dear and tell me what’s wrong with my boyfriend?”
“You should know.” I said, “Don’t be counting on him still being your boyfriend after what you did to him, Prince Charming.”
Geoffry crossed his arms and waited for me to answer his question, annoyingly patient.
I rolled my eyes in an over-exaggerated way and said bitterly, “Last Sunday, your house. When he stormed out of there, in tears.”
Geoffry’s face fell as he remembered and I said snottily, “Ring a bell? Ding ding?”
Geoffry swallowed and said weakly, “That’s really what he’s so upset about?”
I nodded, “Yep. If I were you, I would be looking for a new innocent kid to molest, GQ.”
Geoffry swallowed again and, nodding, said, “Okay, you win. I get it.”
I kept an angry look on my face as I watched him walk away.
I felt mean, but if anyone deserved a b-slap across the face, it was that guy. I hated him so much already and now I had a reason.
I wanted to kick him in the nads.
When I was on the way to our recess, someone called, “Hey, Angela!”
I turned around and was surprised for the millionth time that Mabel knew I was there.
“What, Mabel?” I said half-heartedly.
She pursed her lips, her misty eyes staring blankly ahead. She said in an icy tone, “I never thought I would say this, ever, but…”
Mabel took a deep breath and said, “Angela, I need your help.”
I eyed her and said, “What?”
Mabel shook her head and said, “I can’t take it anymore. We need to get Chris and Geoffry back together. Chris is all Geoffry talks about! When we were making out the other day, I could’ve sworn he said ‘Chris’!”
She sounded like she was having difficulty saying every word.
I shook my head, “Wait, wait, wait… You and Geoffry are back together now?”
Mabel nodded and said, sighing, “Yes, but it doesn’t seem to make much of a difference from when he was with Chris…”
I mumbled under my breath, “That asshole…”
I turned to Mabel and said, “Also, I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I think getting them back together might be the only way to get everything back to normal.”
Mabel nodded and held out her hand.
I wasn’t anxious to shake her hand, but I did anyway.


I was now business partners with Mabel Oakfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment