Thursday, May 20, 2010

Cool With A "K" PART 21 - CHAPTER 1

"Now, class." Mrs. Green, our way-too-happy French and homeroom teacher cheerily explained, "We have a new student joining us and I need you to be very nice to him."
She gestured to the door and the new student entered.
He was in a wheelchair. Some kids gasped and others gave him pitiful looks.
The new boy had spiky blonde hair and he was reasonably cute.
Mrs. Green smiled at him and said, "Now, boys and girls. This is Kevin, our new student."
Kevin beamed and said loudly, "Well, ain't you all a good lookin' group of b**ches!"
A few kids giggled and Mrs. Green gasped, looking offended.
"Now, Kevin," She said firmly, but she calmed down sweetened up, "We don't use that word at this school, Honey."
Kevin shrugged and said, "Oh, sorry, b**ch. Oh, uh, I mean Mrs. Green."
Mrs. Green smiled tightly as Kevin steered his wheelchair to an empty desk.
Chris glanced and me and, with a pitiful look on his gentle face, mouthed, Oh my god.
I shrugged and glanced at Kevin, who looked perfectly happy. What a weird kid.




On the way to lunch, we spotted Kevin in the hall and Chris said, "Here, I'll handle this."
My friends and I followed Chris and he said politely, "Hi, Kevin!"
Kevin beamed and said, "Oh, hey, b**ch!"
He drew out the word 'b**ch' and grinned.
Chris eyed Kevin and cleared his throat, "Um, hey, Kevin. Would you like to sit with- Er, eat lunch with us today?"
Kevin beamed and said, "Aww, aren't you a sweetie. Sure thing! That would be awesome, b**ch!"
Chris eyed Kevin and Mouse went up to them, putting one hand on Chris' shoulder and one on Kevin's.
She grinned and, having noticed by the gay pride flag attached to the back of his wheelchair that Kevin was obviously gay, she said, "Hey, Chris, will your boyfriend, Geoffry, be there?"
Kevin's eyes lit up and he said excitedly, "You're gay? Really? Oh my gosh, me too! We should be friends! Hey, you have a boyfriend? I used to too, but I dumped him last month."
Chris blushed bright red and he stuttered, "U-um... I..."
Mouse grinned and said, "Come on, Kevin. Let's go to lunch."
Kevin grinned and I smiled kindly.
Chris followed us to the lunchroom, trying to hide his flushed face.




When we got to the lunchroom, I said gently, "Hey, Kevin. Do you want help getting your lunch?"
Kevin looked offended and said, "Actually, I can get y own lunch, thank you very much!"
"Oh," I said, kind of embarrassed, "Sorry."
We all sat down with our lunches and started asking Kevin a bunch of questions, like we always did with new students.
What was your old school like? Was it better than this one? Why are you in a wheelchair?
I elbowed Leo and Kevin said, "Um... I-I'd rather not talk about it."
I smiled kindly and said, "You don't have to if you don't want to, Kevin."
Kevin huffed, "You know, I'm not a baby. I can take care of myself."
Chris bowed his head and blushed a little. 
I grinned. That kid was so sensitive. I'll admit that after the whole thing with Geoffry, he seemed to be a little better about that.
"Oh," Mouse, Leo, and I said at the same time.
"I'm sorry, Kevin." I said.
"No need." Kevin said, smiling again.
Just then, I saw Jamie and Jesse walk into the lunchroom. I hadn't seen them in forever... And, apparently, neither had Chris.
Chris' jaw dropped and, sounding like one of the stupid teenagers from a movie when they say 'I can't believe you're wearing that', he said, "Oh.... My... God.... It's him!"
"An ex-boyfriend of yours?" Kevin asked loudly, grinning, "Why'd you leave him? He. Is. Hot."
Chris clenched his teeth and said, "Nope, he's a d*ck."
We all stared at Chris. That was pretty obscene language for him. I mean, he did call Jesse a douchebag that one time.
Remembering the day when Chris had called him that, I stifled a laugh.
Mouse stood up and waved to Jamie and Jesse, yelling, "Hey, guys! Come sit with us!"
"MOUSE!" Chris yelled, blushing bright red. Man, that kid needs to see a doctor about that blushing thing.
Jesse and Jamie spotted us and started walking over.
Chris crossed his arms and scowled at Jesse, making Jesse very uncomfortable.
"Why, hello, you two!" Mouse said, beaming, "It's so nice to see you again!"
"Hi!" Kevin said to Jesse excitedly, "Are you gay?"
We all stared at Kevin, then at Jesse. 
Before Jesse could answer, Chris said, "Nope. He's as straight as the dagger he stabbed through my heart."
Now, Jesse looked really uncomfortable.
"Oh, I see." Kevin said, "So, he is your ex-boyfriend!"
"What?!" Jesse said, surprised and confused.
Chris shook his head, "No, he's not, Kevin. He's a moron."
Jesse looked offended and maybe a little mad. He and Chris glared at each other for a while and, wanting to break the tension, Jamie said, "Yeah, it's really nice to see you guys! You know, all so happy." 
Chris nodded and said, "Peachy."
Chris got up with his lunch and walked away.
"Chris," I started to say, but Alice gave me a knowing look and I nodded.
We all stood- Er, sat in silence for a long time, not saying anything.
Then, Kevin started chattering to Jesse. This took up the rest of lunch and recess.


For some strange reason, this really seemed to tick Chris off.

No comments:

Post a Comment