Monday, May 10, 2010

Cool With A "K" PART 20 - CHAPTER 8


As I sat in homeroom, the suspense of what would happen between Geoffry and my brother was killing me. I felt bad for being so anxious to see what happened, but I just wanted things to fall back into place.
Well, what I got sure was satisfying and I’m surprised that our five minutes of passing time was enough to cover it.
It was the end of third hour and I was with Chris and Alice, on my way to French class.
Chris stopped dead in his tracks and his jaw slowly dropped.
Alice and I looked at him and said at the same time, “What?”
Chris swallowed and didn’t say anything. Alice and I followed his gaze and we gasped.
What Chris was staring at was Geoffry, who was walking toward us with an anxious gleam to his eyes. His dreadlocks were gone.
What was left of Geoffry’s hair was clean, fluffy, and blonde and it was shining gorgeously.
Chris stared at him in shock and I wondered if he was going to pass out.
As if on cue, Alice and I both backed up and watched.
Geoffry stood in front of Chris, with a small smirk on his face.
Chris stared at him, at loss for words.
Geoffry held out his arms, somewhat questioningly, and said, “I told you, I can change.”
Chris swallowed and finally found his voice, “Geoffry, your hair… It’s gone.”
“Yeah, I know.” Geoffry nodded, laughing a little, “I did that.”
Chris stared at him, almost in awe, and said, “How long did it take you to grow dreads?”
“I dunno, ‘bout five years.” Geoffry sailed, smiling tenderly, “And about five minutes to cut it all off. I did it for you, Chris.”
Wow, Geoffry was really serious about getting back with Chris. He must have really loved him, ‘cause damn.
Chris stared at Geoffry and gently stroked his silky blonde hair.
Geoffry reached for Chris’ hand, but Chris quickly pulled away.
I felt like we were watching some kind of weird silent movie.
I glanced at Alice for a second, but instantly back at Chris.
Without saying anything, Chris turned around and quickly walked away. To tell you the truth, I thought that was ridiculously cruel. I mean sure Geoffry pretty much molested Chris and…. Yeah, okay, I guess I could see why Chris was unforgiving.
Geoffry stood in the hallway and sniffed. I tried not to look amazed that there were tears in his eyes. I had never seen Geoffry cry. Ever.
Alice and I passed him and I gently patted his shoulder.
Geoffry gasped like he was holding back tears and I turned back to him.
He looked terribly heartbroken and I almost wanted to hug him.
“I’m sorry,” I said quietly.
Geoffry shook his head, “No, I should be the one who’s sorry. I really scared him, didn’t I? Last Sunday. No one has have walked out on me like that before. I didn’t know how to react… Apparently I chose the wrong choice.”
I nodded hesitantly. He had nailed it; that was exactly what happened.
“Maybe he’ll come back.” Alice said, smiling weakly, “He really loved you, Geoffry.”
“Loved.” Geoffry said, flinching as the bell rang.
“Crap,” I said, “Late again.”
Geoffry nodded and Alice and I turned to walk away.
I glanced back at Geoffry, walking to the same class, but a few feet back.
I exchanged a look with Alice and went back to Geoffry. I gently put my hand on his arm and said, “Come on, time to go to French.”
Geoffry looked at me, looking tired, and nodded.
The three of us went to French class together, all with the same thing filling our mind:


Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment