Saturday, January 1, 2011

Cool With A "K" PART 28.5 - CHAPTER 9

"Wait, Tae-Hyun! Will you please slow down?" Leo walked after Tae-Hyun at recess, trying to get her attention.
"No, I will not slow down. I am sick of you treating everyone like they are trash!" Tae-Hyun said over her shoulder, walking quickly.
"What are you talking about?" Leo said, "I treat you like a princess! When you were sick at camp, I stayed by your side the entire time."
Tae-Hyun didn't stop walking. She called back to Leo, "Yes, but that was weeks ago. You've changed."
"Tae-Hyun, please, you can't be mad at me." Leo said desperately.
"Oh, I can't? Why not?" Tae-Hyun shot back, "I can do whatever I want! This is a free country!"
Leo gritted his teeth and said, "Please, Tae-Hyun, just listen to me! I would travel the world for you! I would give you the moon if you asked me to! I would go to Korea and find those Korean rappers you love so much and tell them to come here to Florida and meet you! I would go to Minnesota and buy you the mall of America! Minnesota, man. It's frickin' cold there!"
Tae-Hyun stopped walking, but she didn't turn around.
"Come on..." Leo said, walking up to her, "I would do anything for you. I love you."
Tae-Hyun turned around and said through clenched teeth, "That's great, Leo. I would've... Really appreciated that a month ago... But you're different now. You changed... And I don't know if I can love you anymore."
Leo's face fell and he watched Tae-Hyun storm away. Leo bit his lip and slammed his fist into a tree.
"Damn it!" He cried, taking his fist in his other hand, "Damn it... That... Freaking hurt."
Leo shook his hand, trying to stop the throbbing. Cuts the bark of the tree had sliced into his skin began seeping blood and Leo said under his breath, "Damn it."


Chris, Alice, Mouse, and I were walking around the track at recess when we saw Leo walking through the field, scowling.
We walked over to him and Alice's eyes widened.
"L-Leo, you're hand!" She cried.
Leo curled his fist to his side and dark blood dripped from his knuckles.
Chris swayed and passed out, falling to the ground.
Alice yelped and bent down to help Chris, fanning him with her hand.
"Leo, what happened?" I said.
Leo scowled at me and said, "Oh, so now you care?"
I scowled back at him and said, "Not if you're gonna be a jerk about it."
Leo and I glared at each other for at least ten solid seconds before Leo said, "I punched a tree and it cut my hand."
"Well, that just shows how smart Leo is." Mouse said with a shrug.
"Shut up." Leo said.
I punched him in the shoulder and said, "Jesus, Leo! Stop it!"
"Stop what?" Leo yelled.
"Stop being a frickin' jerk!" I yelled back at him.
"WHAT AM I DOING?"
"Why are you such an idiot?" I hollered, "Haven't you caught on that you're being selfish and no one enjoys your company anymore?"
I gave Leo a shove and said, "Stop being so terrible!"
Leo pushed me back and said, "Don't push me."
"You're lucky I haven't punched your face in yet!" I snapped.
"Guys, guys, stop!" Alice said, putting her hands on our shoulders.
At the same time, Leo and I shrugged her hand off.
Alice picked Chris up off the ground and put his arm over her shoulder. She and Mouse stared at Leo and I intensely.
Leo and I glared icily at each other for a long, long time. Neither of us looked away once.
I can't remember the last time I was mad at Leo, but this time, I wanted to hit him. I actually wondered if I would be able to beat him in a fight. Probably not.
"You're a jerk." I said.
"You're a hypocrite." Leo said.
"You're awful."
"You're critical."
"You're selfish."
"I'm sick of you!" Leo said.
"I'm sick of you, too!" I shot back.
"You're a brat!"
"You're a bad friend!"
Leo wrinkled his nose and knit his eyebrows like he always does when he's mad.
I scowled into his dark brown eyes, trying to stare him down, but I knew it wouldn't happen. Leo hasn't gotten mad at me very many times, but I've seen him get mad at other people. He can be stubborn.
"I'm sick of all of you!" Leo said, and he turned and stormed away.
Chris opened his eyes wearily and said, "What's happening?"
"Leo's pissed off again." Mouse said.
"I hate him." I said.
Alice said gently, "No, you don't. Don't try so hard to be mad at him, Angie."
"Oh, don't try to be mad at him?" I said, "Well, he should try harder not to be-"
Alice held up her hand and said, "Whatever you were about to call him, he probably doesn't deserve it."
I laughed hollowly, "Doesn't deserve it? Alice, Leo has been terrible! He treats everyone like crap now!"
Alice gave me a look and said softly, but sternly, "Angie, do you know who would sound like now?"
I threw my arms up in the air and said, annoyed, "No, I don't. Please tell me who I sound like."
Alice smiled gently and said, "You sound just like Leo when he talks about Kathy. You're trying too hard to stay mad at him and you're not willing to forgive him."
"I can't forgive him if he's not going to stop being a jerk." I said.
Alice shook her head and said, "Ange, you and Leo are really good friends. You have known him since first grade and you guys never fight like this. He'll come through sooner or later, give it time."
I sighed loudly and said, ".... Okay, fine. I'll try to be easier on him... I guess..."
Alice nodded and patted my shoulder, "That's my girl. Come on, guys, we should head back toward the school."
I nodded and followed Mouse, Alice, and Chris, who was still a little confused from having fainted during our conversation.
Alice is right that Leo and I almost never have big arguments like that, but I just don't think I can forgive him yet.




Leo's a jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment