Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Cool With A "K" PART 30 - CHAPTER 19

Leo glanced at Tae-Hyun, sitting a couple of seats away at their lunch table with her iPod in her lap. She had earbuds in her ears and was watching some sort of TV show.
Leo leaned over to her and asked, "Wha'cha watching?"
Tae-Hyun looked at him, "Hm? Oh, it's a K-drama that I really like... A Korean TV show."
"Yeah, I got that." Leo said. He smiled.
Tae-Hyun quickly smiled back and returned her attention to her iPod. Leo studied her face.
She's so beautiful. He thought, I can't believe that she fooled me into thinking she was a guy for so long.
Leo watched the little screen and a pretty girl came on screen, frantically saying something to a boy onscreen.
"She kinda looks like you." Leo commented.

"Tsk, yeah right." Tae-Hyun said. She glanced at him and grinned a little.
"She does." Leo said, pointing to the screen, "See? She's got those big eyes and that look like she's really worried about something."
Tae-Hyun chuckled and Leo said, "She'd look just like you if you had long hair."
He looked at Tae-Hyun and asked, "Have you ever had long hair?"
Tae-Hyun nodded, "Yes, it was about this long until I moved to America."
She gestured to her waist with her hand and Leo said, "Wow, so cutting it was a big sacrifice... That must have been hard for you."
Leo recalled when Chris first broke up with Geoffry and how Geoffry was so desperate to get him back that he cut off his dreadlocks. Leo thought of hair as being something that was important to people, but he realized how meaningless it really was.
Leo stared at Tae-Hyun and he said, "I like your hair this way. Not many girls at this school have short hair."
Tae-Hyun studied him and smiled.
I ran up to our lunch table and forcefully put my lunch tray down, sitting across from Leo and Tae-Hyun.
"Guys," I began, "I think I messed up. Bad."
They looked at me and Tae-Hyun asked, "Why? What happened?"
I looked at her, then at Leo. I guess I had already told two people, so telling two more of my friends would probably be okay.
"I think... That Mouse has a crush on Geoffry."
Leo and Tae-Hyun's eyes widened... But they weren't looking at me. I turned around in my seat to see Mouse standing behind me. She rolled her eyes and said, "Oh, what the hell?!"
"Mouse, I'm so sorry-" I started to say.
"No, you're not sorry." Mouse said, slamming her lunch tray onto the table near me. "What the hell is wrong with you? You think you can just go around telling people shit about your friends just because it's not about you?"
"No, Mouse, I-"
"It's not okay, Angie! You can't do that!" Mouse snapped.
Tae-Hyun and Leo drew away from us uneasily and Chris and Alice walked up to the table. They looked at us and both got extremely tense.
I looked up at Mouse and said honestly, "Mouse, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"
Mouse rounded on me and snapped, "Didn't mean to what? Humiliate me in front of all our friends?"
She scowled darkly at me, but she slowly looked around at our table, taking in all of the staring faces. She straightened up, realizing how out of character she was acting. As if nothing happened, Mouse quickly sat down and began to unwrap her sandwich.
We all watched in silence as Mouse bit into the sandwich. She cringed and said, "Uhg, these sandwiches are disgusting. Somebody should talk to the lunch ladies or something."
I said softly, "It's... Okay if you're mad at me. I would be, too."
Mouse stopped chewing and she slowly turned her head to look at me. Her glare was deadly this time.
"Look, Blondie," She said, "I don't wanna talk about feelings with you."
We stared at each other and I could sense all of our friends watching with bated breath. Mouse turned back to her sandwich and took another bite. I watched her for a moment, feeling hurt, before leaning over my own lunch, my hair hiding my ashamed face. No one else said a word for the rest of lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment